Weight Training in Women over 40
Why is weight training in Women of 40 important? We have been taught from the 80’s that we should be doing cardio to
That is why the cardio machines are packed at the gym and aerobics classes are always full.
I would like to explain to you why that is NOT the best approach. When I worked as a Trainer I had to explain to many women why it could be their problem of not being able to loose weight and hitting a plateau. Or why they are starting to get “Skinny Fat”
I have been fighting with my weight all my life and the scale is not the most effective way to measure results. Don’t get me wrong it is a great tool, but not the only one.
When you do strength training, are you gaining lean muscles mass and it will help you to look thinner and it will increase your metabolism.
So I it is important to track measurements throughout your journey, if you can get your body fat measured and pay attention how your clothes fit.
What are the benefits?
1. Increase in Muscle Mass – when we get older, our muscle mass decreases, and
2. Increased Metabolism- When you are over 40 your metabolism has slowed down. It will be more and more difficult and frustrating to loose weight. So when you build muscles,
3. Reversal and slowing of Bone Density Loss – Our bone density declines with age. This puts us at risk for injuries. Weight training
4. Better Sleep – Any form of exercise can help with sleep and there are studies, to show that weight training can help improve hormonal balance.
6. Improved Overall Health – Studies show, that weight training in women benefits lowering your blood pressure, resting heart rate and
7. Love the way you look
This is me in 2008, I had lost 80 and weighed in at 185lbs. I am a size 12, now know I am 5’6″ so I am not super tall and I achieved this by Weight training 3x week and doing cardio 3-5x week. But my cardio also included Kickboxing classes.